Attending school regularly helps children feel better about school—and themselves. Start building this habit in preschool so they learn right away that going to school on time, every day is important.
Good attendance will help children do well in high school, college, and at work.
Reporting Your Student Absent
Call the Standiford School Office at 574-5400
Absent Due to Illness
- If your child is ill with a fever, vomiting/diarrhea, or has an infection requiring antibiotics, please call the office to report their absence.
- Children should be 24 hours symptom free before returning to school.
- For students out ill for 3 or more consecutive days, it is recommended that the parent have a note from the doctor clearing the student to return to school and to excuse the absences.
Absent Due to Doctor/Dentist/Orthodontist Appointments
- We would like to encourage you to schedule your child’s appointments during non-school times so students don’t miss out on important instructional time with their teachers in the classroom.
- Upon return to school, please have your student bring in a note from the doctor, dentist, orthodontist, etc., to excuse the absence
Absent Due to Necessities Other Than Illness
- Independent Study Contracts are available for students who may be absent for 5-20 (five to twenty) days due to necessities other than illness, surgery, etc.
- Call the office to find out if your student qualifies for an Independent Study.
- This MUST be done at least 5 (five) das prior to the first day of the absence.
Independent Study Contracts must be approved by the classroom teacher and the principal. All work must be completed by the child and turned in to the teacher on the first day the student returns to school. No partial credit will be given. Incomplete work will result in unexcused absences. Independent Study Contracts are not available at the beginning or the end of the school year.
Due to Vacations, Family Events, etc.
We encourage you to take a look at the school calendar. There are many days (and weeks!) that school is not in session and are available for you to plan family vacations, events, etc.
If your vacation/family event is less than 5 days, it does not qualify for an Independent Study Contract and therefore is considered unexcused.
WHAT YOU CAN DO?
- Set a regular bed time and morning routine.
- Lay out clothes and pack backpacks the night before.
- Don’t let your child stay home unless they are truly sick. Keep in mind complaints of a stomach ache or headache can be a sign of anxiety and not a reason to stay home.
- If your child seems anxious about going to school, talk to teachers, school counselors, or other parents for advice on how to make them feel more comfortable and excited about learning.
- Develop back-up plans for getting to school, if something comes up. Call on a family member, a neighbor, or another parent.
- Avoid medical appointments and extended trips when school is in session.